The Second Harvest
The fall equinox, or Mabon, arrives this year on September 22. This pagan holiday signifies the changing of seasons. It marks for us the ending of summer and the beginning of fall. On this day the hours of day and night are finally equal before we start moving towards shorter days and longer nights of winter.
This is the second and last harvest of the year, and as such, apples are a prominent fixture. Since apples themselves can be quite magickal, I thought it would be fun to create an easy ritual for you. As always feel free to adjust anything slightly if there is a way that feels better to you. As long as your intention is along the same lines it should be fine. Changing things so that they feel good only amplifies your intentions and allows you to feel your own magical power more intensely. Now lets do some Mabon Magick!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 Apple
- 1 White Candle (unused)
- Cutting board
This ritual may be done on your alter or outside in nature. Wherever you decide to work, make sure that you are in a private space where you will not be disturbed.
Mabon Magick Apple Ritual
If you wish to cast a circle, you may do so. If this is not part of your regular practice, please make sure you are grounded before you begin. A simple and quick way to ground is to close your eyes, take some relaxing breaths, and picture tree roots coming out from the base of your spine and the bottoms of your feet. Envision them growing and spreading out, which will anchor you firmly into the earth.
1) Light your candle. While doing so you may recite the following, or say something similar in your own words.
As I light this candle
I thank you for your presence in my life
Now and always
Please protect and guide me
As I work my magick.
2) Pick up the apple you have chosen. Hold it in your hands, close your eyes and focus your energy and intention on its journey from a single seed to where it is now. Pay attention to everything it has gone through in order to grow into the fruit you now hold in your hands.
3) After you have visualized this cycle of life, take a moment to quiet your mind. See if the apple presents you with any images or messages that you need during this time. You may also ask it questions if there is anything specific you would like to know. Keep in mind that this holiday focuses on balance, harmony, prosperity, security & protection. So try to keep your questions and knowledge gathering specific to these areas.
4) When you are ready, open your eyes. Place the apple on your cutting board and cut it in half along the middle (NOT from the stem to the bottom calyx). If done correctly you should now see a 5 pointed star or pentagram that occurs naturally in the center of the apple. Pentagrams represent the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water as well as the energy of Spirit.
5) Think of 3-5 things that you are grateful for that you have harvested this year. They can be tangible progress that you can see like a new job, or more non-concrete energies such as being loved and protected. For each thing you are grateful for, take a small bite out of the apple. As you do so feel the gratitude for the situation or energy that Spirit has blessed you with. If you have more than 5 things to be grateful for then I encourage you to keep going, and be mindful of the impact of each one in your life as you are enjoying your apple.
Express your gratitude for something that you have harvested in each one of these areas this year. Take one bite out of the apple as you express and feel your gratitude for each one.
8) When you are done with your ritual, leave the apple on your alter. Snuff out your candle to release Spirit from your working and be sure to offer thanks for the assistance and protection. The next day bury your apple somewhere as an offering to mother earth.
Want to add something extra to your ritual?
Mabon is associated with a variety of herbs and crystals. Try burning sage, frankincense, sweet grass, or passionflower while you work. Or add a few crystals to your ritual space to amplify the energetic vibration. Choose from clear quartz, peridot, yellow citrine, yellow topaz or adventurine. Be creative and express yourself in the way the feels the best to you.
Happy Fall Equinox Everyone!